Monday, July 23, 2007

Northbound

Just a few good things lately but a whole bunch of great memories from the distant past. Yes, I'm sentimental...that's because I value friendships--most of which lasting more than a decade now. It's my choice to keep them and it's my decision to nurture the bond.

I have been out of (let's term it) hiding for several weeks now. I became visible (and audible) again after months of dormancy. During this time I reconnected with a couple of good friends I've lost touch with for quite a long time--a product of maturity, I must say. In order to get things back on track, there was only one solution...a reunion! A unity of three individuals with seemingly different backgrounds sharing the same sentiments.

Two of us residing in Manila left at dawn for a road trip to Pangasinan (north Luzon) to reconnect with the last element of the triad. It was the day after his birthday...a surprise in effect; he didn't know I was going to visit him. I sure beat his plans of him visiting me here in Manila (sneaky ol' me hehe). To sort of measure the time we haven't seen each other, that birthday boy is already married with two beautiful kids! Time really flies so fast when you're busy making something out of your life; before you know it, you're not only flipping a page or two of your planner but you have to toss the entire calendar!

After spending the entire day chatting, eating, more chatting, and a whole lot of eating, it was time to head back...to end the gluttony. Oh, come on, don't believe me.... After my well-deserved south-bound road trip nap we made a detour to Clark, Pampanga. But since the tax-free shops were already closed and it was already dinner time, we ate. (Justified, right? hehe)

Aside from the famous processed meat (Pampanga's Best tocino, longganisa, etc.), Pampanga is known for its sisig. And yes it was the best...together with bulalo and papaitan! (Please don't scold me for eating cholesterol-"blessed" food...I had to...I was out of town! hehe) We ate at this place at the heart of the soldiers' residences. I didn't mind the ambience (or lack of it) as I was having the time of my life! :)

Not only did I reconnect with my old buds, I got to be a kid again--gaping at the scenery of lush greens, animals, wide horizon, vendors and peddlers; and anticipating to taste the town's specialties. I brought home dozens of what they called "tupig" from Pangasinan--it's like suman with coconut strips. They smell so good and taste heavenly! :)

I really enjoy provincial road trips. Maybe because I grew up without a province to come home to during special occasions, fiestas, and holidays. I'm a "Manilenya"...a born city girl with a constant yearn to get out of the city :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home