Saturday, July 21, 2007

Knowing the Difference

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

I had a good and rather interesting talk with a friend whom I've known for quite a while but had lost contact in the recent years. As we reminisced from the time we met to the time we drifted, I can't help but feel a sting...because his presence in my life is meaningfully intertwined with all the memories I've treasured and will forever cherish. He is who I consider a very down-to-earth person whose principles and values are intact. His faith is strong. His perseverance is unsurmountable.

We exchanged stories and milestones that shaped us to who we are at present. I poured my heart's content--my hopes, my prayers, my struggles, my hurt--while he intently listened. With every minute I spent talking, I figured deep in his thoughts he was trying to find the right words to say to comfort me, to alleviate the pain, to side with me, to make me smile. But he did not do that. Instead he dished out the truth not on a silver platter (like how other people would). He had the let's-face-it-stop-being-a-martyr tone. It was pretty harsh but I knew I had to hear it over and over. And to soften the blow, our conversation centered on having faith in Him and allowing Him to steer the wheel, which I'm gradually learning. He gave me words of wisdom, thoughts to ponder, metaphors to reflect.

God, give me the courage to change the things I should. And give me the wisdom to accept the things that You don't want changed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home